Sooyeon Lee, Bjorn Hubert-Wallander, Molly Stevens, and John M. Carroll. "Understanding and Designing for Deaf or Hard of Hearing Drivers on Uber." In Proceedings of the 2019 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, p. 529. ACM, 2019
- PhD in Information Sciences and Technology, The Pennsylvania State University, 2014 - present
- B.S. in Information Sciences and Technology, The Pennsylvania State University with Highest Distinction, 2005 - 2008
- Center for Human-Computer Interaction, Information Sciences and Technology, at Penn State, University Park, PA. Sept. 2014 - Present
- Research Assistant - Advisor/Professor John M. Carroll
- Visual Cortex on Silicon Project
- Lead all accessibility research projects, manage team members including junior PhD/master’s students, undergraduate students, and postdoc fellows, and coordinate between the development and design teams
- Design a multi-modality (auditory and tactile) interactive user interface with AI/Computer vision collab- orators for developing visual prosthetics interactions for people with visual impairments
- Evaluate with iterative UX research including experimental lab studies and mixed research methods
- Design and conduct extensive ethnographic studies for understanding people with visual impairments for developing design requirements and gaining insights
- Collaborate with the local persons with visual impairments and with an industry partner, Aira (aira.io)
- Community Informatics Project
- Worked on designing a mobile ride sharing application that provided local community ride exchange and delivery services and collaborated with researchers at Palo Alto Research Center and Carnegie Mellon University
- Google, User Experience Research Intern, Mountain View, CA May 2019 - Aug. 2019
- Conducted secondary research to understand inclusive design approach/practice of other researchers/industries and identify stakeholders’ needs for the inclusive hardware product design
- Analyzed and extended current inclusive hardware design framework and guidelines and created an improved version
- Designed and delivered an information architecture for making the inclusive hardware design guidelines actionable for hardware product managers, designers, and developers
- Uber Inc. UX Design Research Intern, San Francisco, CA. Jun. 2017 - Aug. 2017
- Led UX design research projects to build a foundation for accessible service and product design
- Identified and analyzed accessibility issues, challenges, and needs for the Uber users with different types of disabilities
- Designed and conducted UX researches for developing accessibility for deaf/hard of hearing users
- The research work accepted to ACM CHI Conference 2019
- Quality Assurance Analyst at Minitab Inc., State College, PA. June 2008 – Aug 2014
- Developed test plan and strategies for new and enhanced features and functionality
- Assisted UX designers in designing new feature/functionality and developing specification
- Performed graphics/GUI and localization testing
- Developed unit testing using C# and Python in agile software development environment
- Research: Accessibility research, Experimental design, User centered design, Ethnographic study, Observation, Interview, Focus group, Prototyping, Qualitative and quantitative data analysis Participatory design, Survey design, Scenario based design
- Technical: Java, Python, C#, C++, SQL, HTML, Minitab, SPSS
- Business: IT Project Management, Problem-based solutions, Bilingual (English/Korean)
I Didnt Know that You Knew I Knew: Collaborative Shopping Practices between People with Visual Impairment and People with Vision
Chien Wen Yuan, Benjamin V. Hanrahan, Sooyeon Lee, Mary Beth Rosson, John M. Carroll. “I Didn’t Know that You Knew I Knew: Collaborative Shopping Practices between People with Visual Impairment and People with Vision”. 21st ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing. CSCW 2018.
Remote Human Assistant Technology: Classroom Learning Accessibility for Children with Visual Impairment
Sooyeon Lee, Jordan Beck, Xiying Wang, Mary Beth Rosson, John M. Carrol. “Remote Human Assistant Technology: Classroom Learning Accessibility for Children with Visual Impairment”. Position paper for CHI 2018 workshop on “Inclusive Educational Tehcnologies: Emerging Opportunities for People with Visual Impairments”.
Reaching Out: Investigating Different Modalities to Help People with Visual Impairments Acquire Items
Sooyeon Lee, Chien Wen Yuan, Benjamin V. Hanrahan, Mary Beth Rosson, John M. Carroll. “Reaching Out: Investigating Different Modalities to Help People with Visual Impairments Acquire Items”. ASSETS ’17 Proceedings of the 19th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility Pages 389-390.
Peter A. Zientara, Sooyeon Lee, Rorry Brenner, Henry Smith, Laurent Itti, Mary Beth Rosson, John M. Carroll, Kevin M. Irick, Vijaykrishnan Narayanan . "Third Eye: a shopping assistant for the visually impaired." Computer 50.2 (2017): 16-24. IEEE Computer special issue on “Human Augmentation”
Constructing a holistic view of shopping with people with visual impairment: a participatory design approach
Yuan, Chien Wen, Benjamin V. Hanrahan, Sooyeon Lee, Mary Beth Rosson, and John M. Carroll. “Constructing a holistic view of shopping with people with visual impairment: a participatory design approach.” Universal Access in the Information Society (2017): 1-14.
MASTerful Matchmaking in Service Transactions: Inferred Abilities, Needs and Interests versus Activity Histories
Jung, Hyunggu, Victoria Bellotti, Afsaneh Doryab, Dean Leitersdorf, Jiawei Chen, Benjamin V. Hanrahan, Sooyeon Lee, Dan Turner, Anind K. Dey, and John M. Carroll. "MASTerful Matchmaking in Service Transactions: Inferred Abilities, Needs and Interests versus Activity Histories." Proceedings of the 2016 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM, 2016.
Han, Kyungsik, Richard Wirth, Benjamin V. Hanrahan, Jiawei Chen, Sooyeon Lee, and John M. Carroll. "Being connected to the local community through a Festival mobile application." IConference 2016 Proceedings (2016).
Yuan, Chien Wen, Benjamin V. Hanrahan, Sooyeon Lee, and John M. Carroll. "Designing Equal Participation in Informal Learning for People with Visual Impairment." IxD&A 27 (2015): 93-106.
Sohn, Jung-woo, Sooyeon Lee, and Tracy Mullen. "Attracting intra-marginal traders across multiple markets." Workshop on Trading Agent Design and Analysis (TADA 2009). 2009.
Sohn, Jung-woo, Sooyeon Lee, and Tracy Mullen. "Impact of misalignment of trading agent strategy across multiple markets." International Conference on Auctions, Market Mechanisms and Their Applications. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2009.